Which irons choose? And it is best to use a smoothly or fantasy? You would like to begin to knit but do not know where to start? In this article we have all the answers for joining the “knitting club”… Just as the most famous stars!
The sound of your grandmother who was knitting in the background she was one from throughout childhood and is a sweet memory, and every time you see a beautiful scarf knit with attached a really exaggerated price, your first thought is “this could make it anch I less than half the price if you only knew to use the knife”: start knitting could be your new project!
Besides the fact that it is now super fashion, vintage knitting is an inexpensive hobby (though not always choose the finest wool from the Himalayas of course!) And you can do it anywhere: in your spare time at home, on a lunch break in office and even on vacation! You need is a pair of knitting needles and a beautiful ball of yarn and you can start. Knitting is also considered almost therapeutic: improves hand-eye coordination and above all… Relax! Just what you want!
Choose the knife
The first thing to do is take the knife: it seems easy, but it is a very important decision that will affect both the way of knitting that the end result. In fact, even if it manages to work with all types of irons, even the most improvised, there are different models that should be chosen according to the type of processing that you want to do, the size of the yarn and also according to the degree of skill. The irons vary in material, size and type.
- Material: You should not choose the material based on what “we like best”, but should consider vintage muffler. For beginners are recommended plastic needles, very light and flexible but also those in bamboo and wood which have a rough surface that does not fall points, but have the flaw of cracking and splintering ruining the shirt. The metal rods are heavier and extremely smooth, so are suitable for more experienced people.
- Size: The diameter of the rods affect much on the final result as with thicker needles will result in a wider and slow mesh, whereas with thinner needles will be a final result with the narrowest points and a mesh thicker and less elastic. The length of the bars must be chosen depending on the type of project that we need to do, but also relying on the comfort factor.
- Type of processing: The most common irons are sharpened on one side and have a ball on the opposite end that avoids the point of falling, but there are also double-pointed needles (on both ends) used to work circular links, such as the socks. Always for circular links you can use the circular needle that two irons are joined together by a flexible plastic or nylon cable sliding the knit and can even reach a length of 120cm. To work the stranded knitting instead there is an iron hook.
The yarn should be selected according to our taste and the final project, but there are some small tricks to follow. First, if you have your yarn in hank form of the first thing to do is wrap it in ball: it will be much more comfortable when you go to work the jersey. Not always the model diagrams give instructions on which yarn to choose but as a general indication of the rule is that the vegetable yarns like silk, linen and cotton are good summer while those of animal origin such as wool, alpaca or angora are suitable to winter. If you need to create something durable like a potholder or slippers, it is best to choose a mixed yarn acrylic or viscose, while for a more artifact delicate hand you can choose the finest yarns, but given the high cost, it is recommended to first make a test of the model to be achieved with a cheaper yarn. On the label of the ball, in addition to grams and the yield of the kind of yarn, it is also recommended to use the type of iron.
- Fancy yarns: classic yarns which have always the same type of yield and are therefore more reliable (eg cotton and wool).
- Fancy yarn: means the kind of out of fashion yarn that changes every season. Useful to experiment!
- Textured yarns: the type of yarn that has a distinctive character in the mesh so it is not all smooth.